Friday, January 2, 2015

Message Outline: “The Dangers of Greed” Luke 12:13-21



“The Dangers of Greed”
Luke 12:13-21
January 4th , 2015

I. An inappropriate request reveals the status of the heart. (13-14)
13 Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” 14 But he said to him, “Man, who made me a judge or arbitrator over you?”

II. A warning about greed: our life is more than our stuff (15)
15 And he said to them,“Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”


III. A parable about a greedy rich fool [16-21]

A. An opportunity presents itself: an abundant crop (16-17)
16  And he told them a parable, saying, “The land of a rich man produced plentifully, 17 and he thought to himself,‘What shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?’

B. The Choice acted upon: generous toward self and poor toward God.(18-19)
18 And he said, ‘I will do this: I will tear down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.
19 And I will say to my soul,“Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years;  relax, eat, drink, be merry.”’

C. Life and earthly riches pass quickly, but richness toward God lasts forever. (20-21)
20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’
21 So is the one who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God.”


No comments:

Post a Comment