Thursday, April 10, 2014

“When God says No”

“When God says No” 

*Many of theses thoughts are from an article by  Lance Witt.

[Introduction]
Sometimes we clearly see God answer a prayer with a timely “yes.” Sometimes we have seen God, answer yes, but in a different way or time than we had hoped for or expected. Occasionally, time gives us a greater perspective on life and we can recognize and value how God worked.

I have seen God heal relationships and marriages in response to prayer and I have also seen God NOT heal relationship and marriages in response to prayer.

Sometimes, we can appreciate a “NO” answer to our prayers.

My father-in-law when he was a young man briefly dated a woman that either he or she ,or God just sovereignly ended the relationship. Years after he had married his current wife, he found out that this woman he had briefly dated had been married several times. He was relieved that he had avoided some major potential problems in his life.

The apostle Paul in a well known, but undefined struggle said, 


2 Corinthians 12:8-10 (ESV)
8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me.
9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Why doesn’t God answer our prayers in some very specific circumstances that each of us have in our minds?  God is all loving, the Bible say that. Since He is,  why doesn’t he answer our prayers?

Some of us here have specifically prayer for certain things that we clearly know are within the will of God. It is always God’s will to pray for someone to be saved. To pray for healed relationships with a prodigal child, restored relationship with family or spouse.
It is appropriate according to James to pray for physical healing.

When you pray for those things but do not seen life change, you may be asking yourself,
Is the Lord mad at me?
Is there something wrong with me?
Do I not have enough faith?
Are my prayers making any positive difference?
Are my prayers just  bouncing off the ceiling?
                                                                                               
You and I have seen God positively answer other people’s prayers that we are also praying.  Sometimes God even seems to be working positively in the lives of those who don’t know Him. Those emotions become very raw over time and we cry out from the heart, “It’s not fair.” You may try to keep as the English refer to a “stiff upper lip.” Fortitude in the face of adversity -- when your heart is flooded with painful emotions and unanswered questions.

The book of Job helps us to probe this issue. While it is likely the oldest book in the Bible, every thing it says is relevant to the human condition now as was it 4000 years ago. The Bible called Job a righteous man. He also experienced great success and material prosperity. He was greatly respected and admired by many people. But there was something going on in the spiritual realm that he was not aware of.
 God allowed Satan to affect Job in a horrific way.

One day Job lost 7,000 sheep, 3000 camels, 5000 oxen, 500 donkeys, “all his servants were killed, and then the crowning blow was that all 10 of his kids were killed in a freak accident.”
“Shortly, Job lost his health and his entire body from the bottom of his feet to the top of his head was covered in boils. Over night, one of the most wealthy, well-respected, and righteous men on earth was reduced to nothing.”

Job’s wife advice was to curse God and die. Throughout most of the chapters of Job God is silent.
Job and his friends then wrestle with trying to understand his circumstances.  He friends became unhelpful once they opened their mouths.

In this struggle to understand and respond to the suffering some helpful principles come out.


When God says No to your prayers,

I.  Affirm what you know to be true about God

Job 19:25  For I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will stand upon the earth.


II. Look to Jesus in your struggles.

 Hebrews 12:2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.


III. Don’t mistake the silence of God for the absence of God.
Job 34:29  When he is quiet, who can condemn? When he hides his face, who can behold him, whether it be a nation or a man?—

IV. Remember that God is not obligated to explain himself
Job 38:1-4
1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind and said:
2 “Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?
3 Dress for action like a man; I will question you, and you make it known to me.
4 “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding.
When God says No to your prayers,

V. Take comfort in knowing that God is at Work

Job 33:12-14
 12 “Behold, in this you are not right. I will answer you, for God is greater than man.
 13 Why do you contend against him, saying, ‘He will answer none of man’s words’? 1
4 For God speaks in one way, and in two, though man does not perceive it.
  
VI. Do not let your pain distort your view of God.
Job 13:15   Though he slay me, I will hope in him; yet I will argue my ways to his face.

VII. Always keep God’s eternal purpose in your mind
1 Corinthians 15:19 If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied.

VIII. Trust in God's control and purposes for your life
Job 23:10  But he knows the way that I take; when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold.

Conclusion
Joni Eareckson Tada who is now 64 has spent the last 47 years paralyzed.
"A sacrifice of praise will always cost you something. It will be a difficult thing to do. It requires trading in our pride, our anger, and most valued of all, our human logic. We will be compelled to voice our words of praise firmly and precisely, even as our logic screams that God has no idea what he's doing. Most of the verses written about praise in God's Word were penned by men and women who faced crushing heartaches, injustice, treachery, slander, and scores of other intolerable situations".

She has some interesting closing words here.
"It's ironic. In heaven, where I will be able once again to wipe my own tears, I won't have to."



No comments:

Post a Comment