Saturday, September 22, 2012

You can't take it with you

From a recent AP story


CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) — A Carson City recluse whose body was found in his home at least a month after he died left only $200 in his bank account.
But as Walter Samaszko Jr.’s house was being cleared for sale, officials made a surprise discovery: gold bars and coins valued at $7 million.

This story reminds me of Jesus' words in
Matthew 6:20-21 (NIV)
20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I would assume that 69 years old Walter was seeking security for himself by hoarding gold.  
Our treasure reflects where our hearts are at. I remember my Dad telling me a number of years before he died, "I don't care what you do with the house, but save my tools."
Our treasure, our use of talent and time, all reflect what is important to us.

I once heard a memorable sermon by Haddon Robinson. His main idea was, "You can't take it with you, but you can send it ahead."


No comments:

Post a Comment