Monday, September 15, 2014

Finished Project


Throughout the late Spring and Summer 2014 Steve, his son Grant, and I worked on a crib for Grant's coming baby girl (born last week). We spent Monday mornings working on this project. My best guess is that we have at least 150 man hours into making it. The red oak wood and hardware were close to $500. I found a youtube video of a father and son doing this project  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV0qnuaIQyg ].

My father made many wood projects: roll top desk, toy box, bunk bed, etc...I never understood the effort required until I inherited his tools, set up a shop, took a class, and started to make things.

The value of doing this crib was spending the time with an old friend, Steve, and making a new friend, Grant. As the little girl grows, they can share how dad and grandpa made the bed for her.
I once read that 'the process is more important than the product.'  If the process is done well, the finished product will turn out.

I think that can be a good life lesson. We go through life with a variety of experiences (some apparently good, others bad, others neutral, and others unknown), and we don't know the end purpose to many of them. But if we seek the Lord through them, they are not wasted.

The Bible has a good promise that God works through all things to accomplish His purposes in our lives.

 Romans 8:28 (ESV)
28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

May we all hold on to this promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment